Posted: 14th December 2023
Organisation: Tarmac Trading
Place of work: Barham
Salary details: £18,000.00 Annual Wage
Are you considering an apprenticeship to kick start your career? Come and join us as an Apprentice Operative in Road Surfacing at Tarmac. Based from our Barham site close to Ipswich in Suffolk, you’ll get hands on experience in various tasks that will help develop your skills, qualify and allow you to progress within the business!
What you will do in your working day
Duties may include:
- Working as part of a Road Surfacing Team you will gain an understanding of road surfacing and construction materials
- Developing skills on mobile plant equipment
- Attend, participate and understand the content of the daily briefing and any site specific inductions
- Fully understand site risk assessments prior to starting work on every occasion and make suggestions to the Team Leader to reduce or remove any identified risks
- Display a pro-active attitude to health and safety and report any near hits to the Team Leader, stopping any witnessed unsafe behaviour
- Liaise with customers & general public to ensure the highest level of safety is maintained Contribute to keeping the working environment safe, ensuring our high standards are maintained
- Be a role model in your approach to Health and Safety
- Work collaboratively to build a culture of continuous improvement through teamwork and communication
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment and ensuring safety comes before anything else!
- Taking pride in all work completed and being determined to succeed!
The training you will be getting
- The apprentice will gain a level 2 (GCSE equivalent) qualification in Road Surfacing and functional Skills in English and Maths if required
- Training will take place in block periods, with this being delivered at the Tarmac National Skills and Safety Park, based at Tarmac Way, Nether Langwith NG20 9JF
- The location is a purpose-built facility where all operational staff complete learning, developing the right skills and capabilities to safely complete their roles
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Following successful completion of the apprenticeship, successful candidates will move into a Road Surfacing ‘Operative’ position
- Operatives work as part of an Asphalt machine lay gang, working on a variety of schemes such as motorways & airfields to new build carriageways, standard Local Authority street works as well as private, industrial & commercial works
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Logical, Team working, Physical fitness
GCSE or equivalent English Language (Grade 4) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Desired
To apply head over to the company site or alternatively head over to indeed where you will also find more information about this role.
Don’t forget if you would like support with making your application to this, or any other role, one of our career coaches is on hand to give you the help you need.