Posted: 31st January 2024
Organisation: Training and Apprenticeships in Construction
Place of work: Lowestoft
Salary details: £10,982.40 Annual Wage
An excellent opportunity to take your first steps into developing your career as a Groundworker apprentice. This apprenticeship will involve working across the public and private sector, providing an array of construction solutions, including refurbishments and new builds.
What you will do in your working day
Working as part of a team, we have a fantastic opportunity for an apprentice to be involved in the Groundworks on site, whilst studying for a Level 2 Groundworker Apprenticeship qualification.
Groundworkers are the first trade on to a construction and civil engineering site and they work closely with supervisors and engineers in interpreting design specifications to prepare the site ready for the structural building works to take place. They continue their work throughout the construction phase, working with all on-site construction trades, such as bricklayers and plant operatives, up to and including the final completion activities of the project. This apprenticeship will include working alongside qualified staff and learning all aspects of Groundworkers including:
- Setting out and preparing the sub-surfaces ready for the structural work to begin
- Interpreting plans and drawings
- Site clearance
- Helping to prepare site
- Unloading and storing building materials
- Marking out and digging trenches for foundations
- Preparing footings
- Installing drainage systems
- Assisting with house and road drainage works including plastic drainage or SUDS system – sustainable drainage system
- Concreting – layering and smoothing concrete for foundations and floors
- Constructing roads and pathways
- Understanding types of ground and materials
- Understanding technical drawings
- Installation of utilities
- Building commercial, foundations
- Assisting with road drainage and attenuation works
- Carrying out finished hard landscaping
- Working with a banksman
- Dumper/digger/360 excavator training
- General labouring
- Keeping work area clean and tidy
- Clearing up at the end of the day
The training you will be getting
- On successful completion of the apprenticeship the successful applicant will gain a Level 2 Groundworker qualification
- In addition to site experience, the apprentice will receive formal off the job training with regular workshop sessions from an exterior training provider.
- These sessions will be held on site in a mobile workshop
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- On successful completion of the apprenticeship, there will be opportunity to move into full time employment.
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Presentation skills, Administrative skills, Number skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Physical fitness
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3/D) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3/D) Essential
Other CSCS (Grade Pass) Essential
To apply head over to the company site or alternatively head over to indeed where you will also find more information about this role.
Don’t forget if you would like support with making your application to this, or any other role, one of our career coaches is on hand to give you the help you need.